We recommend you be under specialist supervision by the hospital diabetes team for lifelong care. In particular there are exciting technological developments like the Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM) and others on the horizon which the hospital team could access. They will also have other input including the specialist diabetes nurses and dieticians.
A low carb approach is not currently “standard care”, but if you are trying to improve your diabetes control and using a lower carbohydrate approach they will want to support and monitor you to be as safe as possible.
Type 1 diabetes can never be “in remission” and will never stop requiring insulin treatment, but the videos below highlight some individual stories where people have improved their diabetes control and wellbeing through this approach.
- Chris Pennell professional rugby player, Type One Diabetic, low carb lifestyle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVBteSXYYvc&t=0s
- Dr. Troy Stapleton – ‘Low Carb Management of Type 1 Diabetes’
- “All of a sudden my blood glucose was just rock bottom”
- Dr Bernstein’s Diabetes Solution: A Complete Guide To Achieving Normal Blood Sugars, 4th Edition
- Bright Spots & Landmines: The Diabetes Guide I Wish Someone Had Handed Me (Full Color Edition)